Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Help By Kathryn Stockett


I really liked this book! I liked how there were three different narrators with very different opinions and approach to the same situation. I also liked that all of the stories were connected, even it was slightly confusing at times. That aspect of the book reminded of My Sister's Keeper By Jodi Picoult. That was one of my favorite parts of that book as well. The time period of this book was also interesting. It takes place in the 1960s right around when JFK was assassinated. I got to read about the difficulties Africans Americans faced during this time period from the perspective of two African Americans, Aibleen and her best friend ,Minny, and a white woman, Miss Skeeter. Each of the three women have very different ideas about the current social state of their home, Jackson, Mississippi. They all agree that it the way the help and other African Americans are treated is bad, but they approach it differently. I really liked how similar, yet different the women were. It made reading the book a lot more exciting because each section was very different. It was also different because each of the women's lives was different from the others. Overall, I really liked this book, but one thing I was very disappointed with was the ending. it ended so fast, I had to reread it a couple of times to understand how it ended.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I enjoyed it but it left me a bit cold at the end. The last sentence of this blog makes no sense!

    ReplyDelete